The Story of the Ligonier Tavern
Ligonier , Pa, a historic town, can trace its origins to 1758, during the French & Indian war. By 1895, Ligonier became a thriving town, owing its livelihood in part to many Pittsburghers seeking refuge from the hustle and bustle of the big city. At that time Mr. William Potts, the towns first mayor, built for his family a fine Victorian residence on this site. It also was the first home in Ligonier with indoor plumbing. Mrs. Potts was a dedicated teetotaler and her parlor was where the bar is now.
In 1927, Mr. and Mrs. James Calderelli purchased the house from the Potts youngest child, Odie, and refurbished the building to a incorporate a restaurant, bar, and lodgings for weekend visitors, naming it the Lincoln Hotel and Restaurant. It had survived numerous renovations through two generations of Calderellis, while serving the locals and town visitors alike.
In 1976, Wally and Rita Kreger along with their six children, Heidi, Rob, Eric,Kurt, Kary, and Kris, purchased the Italian landmark from the Calderellis. The Kriegers changed the name to The Ligonier Tavern, added the screened in porch for summer dining, and increased the size of the menu to accommodate Rita’s passion for cooking.
In 1982, their daughter Heidi married Peter McKay and purchased the tavern from her family. They have extensively remodeled the building with the addition of a Solarium, banquet room accommodations on the 2nd and 3rd floor, an additional bar in the attic on the 3rd floor and added a new bar downstairs. The additional accomditations on the 2nd and 3rd floor with the banquet rooms, they have expanded their business to host rehearsal dinners, small receptions, dinner meetings, or gatherings for friends and family.